Allergy Treatment: Why You Need A Specialist

Between the stuffy nose, watery eyes, coughing and sneezing, you're ready to find an allergy treatment that works. But can you get that much-needed treatment from a general internist or pediatrician (if your child is the one with the symptoms)?

While any licensed doctor can prescribe meds that treat allergies, a specialist can get to the true root of the problem and may offer a treatment plan that better meets your needs. Why should you see an allergist or ENT is you're experiencing nasal and respirator allergies? Take a look at the benefits that seeing a specialist offers.

Adding Experience

The more training and experience a doctor has in an area the better. Allergists and ENT doctors have the same medical school background that any other licensed doctor has. But they also have several years' worth (usually two to three) of added training in their specialized field.

Identifying Triggers

What's causing your allergy? Even though you might suspect that it's Fido, Fluffy or the blooming magnolia tree in your front yard, it may actually be something totally different. Allergy testing is an absolute when it comes to diagnosing the triggers correctly.

A specialist understands the common causes of allergies, as well as the not as well-known ones. This makes them an ideal expert when it comes to asking identification questions and choosing the correct tests. Knowing what sets your allergy off is the first step in finding the correct treatment.

Choosing a Treatment

There isn't just one type of allergy treatment. Even though antihistamines and decongestants are popular choices, the allergist or ENT specialist may know what new research says about the most-effective options.

The specialist can also use their focused expertise to help you choose the "just right" option for your specific symptoms. Keep in mind, you're an individual. What works in general for allergy patients may not help you in the nest way possible.

Medications aren't the only types of allergy treatments. The allergist or ENT specialist may recommend immunotherapy as a way to build up resistance to the trigger allergen. Even though a licensed doctor, such as an internist, can suggest and prescribe these allergy shots, it's best to have a specialist guide the process. This ensures that you get the best care and have the biggest chance of feeling better sooner.

Do you have allergies? Getting an allergy treatment and allergy testing isn't something to leave to chance. While it's perfectly acceptable to start with a general doctor, moving on to a specialist is a second step towards finding the relief you need.